Tuesday 27 October 2020

Complete Text Act III, Scene I | Othello By William Shakespeare | Eureka Study Aids

Before the Castle

Enter CASSIO and som Musicians. 
CASSIO: Masters, play here; I will content your pains; 
Something that's brief; and bid 'Good morrow, general.' 
Music
Enter Clown. 
Clown: Why masters, have your instruments been in Naples, 
that they speak i' the nose thus? 
First Musician: How, sir, how! 
Clown: Are these, I pray you, wind-instruments? 
First Musician: Ay, marry, are they, sir. 
Clown: O, thereby hangs a tail. 
First Musician: Whereby hangs a tale, sir?         10
Clown: Marry, sir, by many a wind-instrument that I know. 
But, masters, here's money for you: and the general
so likes your music, that he desires you, for love's 
sake, to make no more noise with it. 
First Musician: Well, sir, we will not. 
Clown: If you have any music that may not be heard, to't
again: but, as they say to hear music the general
does not greatly care. 
First Musician: We have none such, sir. 
Clown: Then put up your pipes in your bag, for I'll away:        20
go, vanish into air; away!
Exeunt Musicians. 
CASSIO: Dost thou hear, my honest friend? 
Clown: No, I hear not your honest friend; I hear you
CASSIO: Prithee, keep up thy quillets. There's a poor piece
of gold for thee: if the gentlewoman attends
the general's wife be stirring, tell her there's 
one Cassio entreats her a little favour of speech: 
wilt thou do this? 
Clown: She is stirring, sir: if she will stir hither, I 
shall seem to nofify unto her,          30
CASSIO: Do, good my friend. 
Exit Clown. 
Enter IAGO. 
In happy time, Iago. 
IAGO: You have not been a-bed, then? 
CASSIO: Why, no; the day had broke
Before we parted. I have made bold, Iago, 
To send it to your wife: my suit to her
Is, that she will virtuous Desdemona
Procure me some access. 
IAGO: I'll send her to yor presently; 
And I'll devise a mean to draw the Moor        40
Out of the way, that yor converse and business
May be more free. 
CASSIO: I humbly thank you for't. 
Exit IAGO. 
I never knew
A Florentine more kind and honest. 
Enter EMILIA
EMILIA: Good morrow, goog Lieutenant: I am sorry
For your displeasure; but all will sure be well. 
The general and his wife are talking of it; 
And she speaks for you stoutly: the Moor replies, 
That he you hurt is of great fame in Cyprus,          50
And great affinity, and that in wholesome wisdom
He might not but refuse you; but he protests he loves you
And needs no other suitor but his likings
To take the safest occasion by the front
To bring you in again. 
CASSIO: Yet, I beseech you, 
If you think fit, or that it may be done, 
Give me advantage of some brief discourse
With Desdemona alone. 
EMILIA: Pray you, come in;        60
I will bestow you where you shall have time
To speak your bosom freely. 
CASSIO: I am much bound to you. 
Exeunt

RELATED POSTS

No comments:

Post a Comment