Sunday 28 December 2014

Past Paper Classical Poetry 2008 | M.A. English Part I (PU) | Eureka Study Aids

Attempt any FOUR questions including Question No. 1 Which is COMPULSORY. All questions carry equal marks. 
1. Explain only FOUR of the following with reference to the context:
(i) She leet no morsel from her lippes falle
Ne wettee hir fvngres in her sauce depe.
Wel koude she carie a morsel and wel kepe
That no drope ne fille upon hire breste.
(ii) Thrice he assayed, and thrice, in spite of scorn
Tears, such as angels weep, burst forth: at last
Words interwove with sighs found out their way:
(iii) And though it in the center sit,
Yet when the other far doth rome,
It leans and hearkens after it,
And growes erect, as that comes home.
(iv) For ever curs'd be this detested day,
Which snatched my best, my favourite curl away!
Happy! Ah ten times happy had I been
If Hampton-Court these eyes had never seen!
(v) But that thou shouldst my firmness therefore doubt
To God or thee, because we have a foe
May tempt it, I expected not to hear.
(vi) And with remembrance of the greater grief
To banish the less, if I find my chief relief.
(vii) It it be yea, I shall be fain;
If it be nay, friends, as before
You shall another man obtain
And I mine own and your's no more.
2. 'The Prologue' presents a cross-section of Chaucer's contemporary society. Illustrate.
3. 'Donne's love lyrics spring not only from a strong and ingenious head but also from a passionate heart." Discuss.
4. What epic conventions does Milton follow in writing of his 'Paradise Lost'. Elucidate.
5. Pope described 'The Rape of the Lock' as a heroic-comical poem. What did Pope mean and how far did he succeed in his purpose.
6. Critically evaluate the style and major thematic concerns in Wyatt's poetry.
7. Write critical analysis of the TWO of the following poems:
(i) Prisoned in the Windor
(ii) On Wyatt's Death
(iii) They Flee From Me

No comments:

Post a Comment