Sunday 23 August 2020

Past Papers Drama 2003 - 2019 | M.A. English Part I (PU) | Eureka Study Aids

1. YEAR 2003
Attempt any FOUR questions including Question No. 1 which is COMPULSORY. All questions carry equal marks. 
1. Explain with reference to the context any THREE of the following passages:
(i) O holy majesty of heavenly powers!
May I never see that day. Never!
Rather let me vanish from the race of men
Than know the abomination destined me!
(ii) O thou art fairer than the evening's Star
Clad in the beauty of a thousand Stars, 
Brighter art thou than flashing Jupiter...
(iii) Now by heaven, 
My blood begins my safer guide to rule; 
And passion, having my best judgement collide
Assay to lead the way
(iv) Should a villain say so
The most replenished villain in the world, 
He were as much more villain: You my lords
Do but mistake. 
(v) Your vanity is ridiculous, your conduct an outrange, and you presence in my garden utterly absurd. However, you have got to catch the four-five, and I hope you will have a pleasant journey home. 
2. Greek tragedy is generally believed to be a tragedy of fate. Is this applicable to Oedipus Rex? 
3. "It is a very theological play: Faustus' sin begins with pride and ends in despair; he chooses evil of his own free will but enslaves his body as well as his soul to temptation. Discuss this statement in relation of Marlowe's Dr. Faustus. 
4. Discuss the tragic aspects of Shakespeare's play Othello. What characteristics make the play as one of his great tragedies? 
5. It has been said that Shakespeare "lost the light-hearted gaiety of his youth; where once he had laughed, he now, in his maturity, smiled pensively not without melancholy." Discuss this statement in relation to Shakespeare's play The Winter's Tale. 
6. It is said that Oscar Wilde "Plays are apparently light hearted, but they contain strong elements of serious feeling in their attack on a society whose code is intolerant, but whose intolerance is hypocritical." Discuss. 
7. Write comprehensive note on any TWO of the following:
(i) Elizabethan Drama
(ii) Shakespeare as a Universal Poet
(iii) Marlowe's Genius as a Playwright
(iv) Importance of Being Earnest as a Comedy of Mere Merriment

2. YEAR 2004
Attempt any FOUR questions including Question No. 1 which is COMPULSORY. All questions carry equal marks. 
1. Explain with reference to the context any THREE of the following passages:
(i) Had I as many souls as there be stars,
I'd give them all for mephostophilis,
(ii) Be certain what you do sir lest your justice
Prove violence, in the which three great ones suffer
Yourself, your queen, your son.
(iii) And yet I fear you, for you are fated then,
When you eyes roll so: why I should fear, I know not,
Since guiltiness I know not, but yet I feel I fear.
(iv) Ah! Dear friend
Are you faithful even yet, you alone?
Are you still standing near me, you will stay here,
Patient to take care for the blind?
The blind man!
Yet even blind I know who it is attends me,
By the voice's tone-
Though my darkness hide the comforter.
(v) Ah! I believe she is plain. Yes:
I know perfectly well what she is like.
She is one of those dull, intellectual girl one meets all over the place.
Girls who have got large minds and large feet.
I am sure she is more than usually plain, and I expect she is about thirty-nine and looks it.
2. How far would you agree that the play Dr. Faustus is a compelling drama of man whose mounting ambition inevitably brings about his hellish fall as he stubbornly rejects repeated advice that his action must lead to damnation?
3. What kinds of insight do you think has Shakespeare given us into the relationship between parents and children in The Winter's Tale?
4. How far do you agree that whenever Othello trusts his instinct he is almost invariably right? Whenever he thinks or fancies himself to be thinking, he is almost ruinously wrong?
5. In the play The Importance of Being Earnest money is key to survival in the upper reaches of English society, how far would you agree?
6. Discuss the relationship between man and the gods in Oedipus Rex.
7. Discuss the dramatic significance of the female characters in Othello.

3. YEAR 2005
Attempt any FOUR questions including Question No. 1 which is COMPULSORY. All questions carry equal marks. 
1. Explain with reference to the context any THREE of the following passages:
(i) The God thou serv'st thine own appetite.
Wherein, is fixed the love of Beelzebub.
To him, I'll build an alter and a church
And offer him lukewarm blood of newborn babes.
(ii) Let every man in mankind's Frailty
Consider his last day, and let none
Presume on his good fortune until he find
Life, at his death, a memory without pain.
(iii) There's some ill plane reigns:
I must be patient till the heavens look
With an aspect more favourable.
(iv) Dangerous conceits, are in their nature poisons
Which ..... with a little act upon the blood
Burn like the mines of sulpher.
(v) It pains me very much to have to speak frankly to you, Lady Brecknell, about your nephew, but the fact is that I do not approve all of his moral character. I suspect him of being untruthful.
2. Discuss Marlowe's Faustus as an over reacher, drawing closely on the text.
3. What in your opinion is Oedipus 'hamartia' and what is its relevance to the play Oedipus Rex.
4. How far would you agree that Shakespeare's Othello is a domestic tragedy?
5. "Shakespeare never did anything finer more serious more evocative of his full powers that his picture of an earthly paradise painted in the form of English countryside". What factors contribute to this picture of an earthly paradise?
6. In the play Othello I go is not a character of fiendish intellectual superiority. He has been used by Shakespeare as a foil for Othello's own weakness. How far would you agree?
7. The play The Importance of Being Earnest has its philosophy "that we should treat all the trivial things of life seriously, and all the serious things of life with sincere and studies triviality". Discuss.

4. YEAR 2006
Attempt any FOUR questions including Question No. 1 which is COMPULSORY. All questions carry equal marks. 
1. Explain with reference to the context any THREE of the following passages:
(i) Ah, Faustus
Now has thou but one bare hour to live;
And then thou must be damn'd
Perpetually!
Stand still, you ever moving spheres of heaven.
That time may cease, and midnight never come.
Fair Nature's eye, rise, rise again, and make
Perpetual day; or let this hour be but
A year, a month, a week, a natural day,
That Faustus may repent and save his soul
(ii) Do not counsel me anymore. This punishment that I
Have laid upon myself is just.
If I had eyes
I do not know how I would bear the sight of my father,
When I come to the house of Death, or my mother, for I
Have sinned against them both
So vilely that I could not make any peace
By strangling my own life.
(iii) I had rather to be a toad
And live upon the vapour of a dungeon
Than keep a corner in the thing I love
For other's uses.
(iv) They call him Doricles; and boasts himself
To have a worthy feeding; but I have it
Upon his won report and I believe it;
He looks like sooth. He says he loves my daughter,
I think so too; for never gaz'd the moon
Upon the water as he'll stand and read
As it were my daughter's eyes and, to be plain,
I think there is not half a kiss to choose
Who loves another best.
(v) Yes, I felt instinctively, but I couldn't wait all that time, I hate waiting even five minutes for anybody. It always makes me rather cross. I am not punctual myself, I know, but I do like punctuality in others, and waiting, even to be married, is quite out of the questions.
2. Do you think that hubris plays a significant part in the fall of Oedipus?
3. Does the speech by the Chorus in the epilogue do justice to the character of Faustus?
4. How does Othello's imagination contribute to his breakdown?
5. Discuss the significance of language in Oscar Wilde's play 'The Importance of Being Earnest'.
6. Discuss the play 'The Winter's Tale' as a tragic comedy.
7. Iago is more a catalyst who precipitates destruction that devil who causes it.

5. YEAR 2007
Attempt any FOUR questions including Question No. 1 which is COMPULSORY. All questions carry equal marks. 
1. Explain with reference to the context any THREE of the following passages:
(i) To have been a man they call his mother's husband
Oh accurst! Oh child of evil,
To have entered that wretched bed the self same one!
More primal than sin itself, this fell on me.
(ii) O soul, be changed into little water drops,
And fall into the ocean, ne'er be found!
My God, my God look not so fierce on me!
Adders and serpents, let me breathe a while!
Ugly hell, gape not! Come not Lucifer!
I'll burn my books! Ah-Mephistophillis.
(iii) Whip me, you devils,
From the possession of this heavenly sight.
Blow me about in winds, roast me in sulphur
Wash me in steep-down gulfs of liquid fire,
(iv) I beg pardon for interrupting you, lady Braknell,
But this engagement is quite out of question,
I am Miss Cardews' guardian,
And she cannot marry without my consent until she comes to age.
I absolutely decline to give.
(v) Sir, it is three days since I saw the prince
What is happier affairs may be,
Are to me unknown
But I
Have missingly noted he is of late much retired
From court and less frequent to his princely
Exercises than formerly he hath appeared.
2. Bring out the evil in Iago and explain how he at last betrays himself.
3. What is dramatic irony? What instances of dramatic irony do you find in Oedipus Rex? What do they contribute to the effectiveness of the play?
4. The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde "is a trivial comedy for serious people". How far do you think the statement is applicable?
5. Do you think that if Dr. Faustus had been a character of the present modern times, he would have despaired as much as he did in his times when religious dogmas were very strong?
6. Discuss the role of the women in The Winter's Tale and their relationship with their husbands/lovers.
7. Conspicuously Sophocles never suggests that Oedipus has brought his destiny, on himself by any 'ungodly pride' hubris or 'tragic flaw' Hamartia. Do you think he is responsible and to what extent.

6. YEAR 2008
Attempt any FOUR questions including Question No. 1 which is COMPULSORY. All questions carry equal marks. 
1. Explain with reference to the context any THREE of the following passages:
(i) At a feast a drunken man maundering in his cups
Cries out that I am not my father's son!
I contained myself that night, though I felt anger
And a sinking heart. The next day I visited
My father and mother, and questioned them, they stormed,
Calling it all the slanderous rant or a fool,
And this relieved me.
(ii) Thou, old traitor,
I am sorry that by hanging thee I can
But shorten thy life one week. And thou, fresh piece
of excellent witch craft who of force, must know
The royal fool thou cop's't with.
(iii) By heavens, I say my handkerchief in his heart,
And makest me call what I intend to do
A murder, which I thought a sacrifice;
I saw the handkerchief.
(iv) Ay, Faustus, now thou hast no hope of heaven,
Therefore, despair, think only upon hell,
For that must be they mansion, there to dwell.
(v) That does not seem to be a great objection.
Thirty-five is a very attractive age. London.
Society is full of women of a very highest birth.
Who have, of their own free choice, remained
thirty-five for years.
2. The character of Oedipus has historically inspires a combination of fascination and repulsion. How would you account for this.
3. Leontes' jealousy is sudden, fierce and motiveless. Discuss its consequences.
4. Comment on the view that Othello murder Desdemona in honour and love, and not in hatred.
5. Faustus is a man who through his thirst for knowledge and his desire to go beyond the accepted wisdom of his time is ultimately destroyed!
6. How does Oscar Wilde portray food as both a weapon and means of demonstrating one's power? Discuss three examples from the play to demonstrate how he uses food.
7. Bring out the role of character and co-incidences in Othello.

7. YEAR 2009
Attempt any FOUR questions including Question No. 1 which is COMPULSORY. All questions carry equal marks. 
1. Explain with reference to the context any THREE of the following:
(i) Forth from thy boards thrust me with all speed.
Set me within some vasty desert where
No mortal voice shall greet me any more.
(ii) Gentlemen, for that I know your friendship is unfeigned,
It is not Faustus' custom to deny
The just request of those that wish him well
You shall behold that peerless dame of Greece.
(iii) Work on,
My medicine, work! Thus credulous fools are caught;
And many worthy and chaste dames even thus,
And guiltless, meet reproach. What, ho! my lord!
My lord, I say! Othello!
(iv) I have considered so much, and with some care; so far that I have eyes under my service which look upon his reservedness; from which I have this intelligence that he is seldom from the house of a most homely shepherd; a man, they say, that from very nothing, and beyond the imagination of his neighbours, is grown into an unspeakable estate.
(v) Kindly turn round, sweet child. No, the side view is what I want. Yes, quite as I expected. There are distinct social possibilities in your profile. The two week points in our age are its want of principle and its want of profile. The chin a little higher dear, style largely depends on the way the chin is worn. They are worn very high, just present.
2. The play Oedipus Rex ends leaving our vision of Oedipus as a commanding figure very much intact. Discuss.
3. How far do you agree that Faustus's behaviour after he sells his soul hardly rises to the level of true wickedness.
4. Iago is considered as 'no great devil' he represents an ordinary, average, little man. Express your views.
5. Discuss the role of Divine Intervention in the play 'The Winter's Tale' especially the miracle scene and the Delphic oracle.
6. Use examples drawn from the play Importance of Being Earnest to show how Algeron uses aesthetic principles to transform his life into a work of art.
7. Is Desdemona simply a passive fool? Is her virtue tantamount to idiocy? Or can she be conceived of as strong and even valient. What are your views and why?

8. YEAR 2010
Attempt any FOUR questions including Question No. 1 which is COMPULSORY. All questions carry equal marks. 
1. Explain with reference to the context any THREE of the following passages:
(i) It is the cause, it is the cause, my soul,
Let me not name it to you, you chaste stars!
It is the cause. Yet I'll not shed her blood:
Nor scar that whiter skin of hers than snow
And smooth as monumental alabaster.
Yet she must die, else she'll betray more men.
Put out the light and then put out the light.
(ii) London society is full of women of the highest
Birth who have, no their own free choice,
Remained thirty five for years.
(iii) Forth from the borders thrust me with all speed,
Set me within some vasty desert where
No mortal voice shall greet me any more.
(iv) Thou dearest Perdita.
With these forced thoughts, I prithee, darken not,
The mirth of the feast. Or I'll be thine, my fair,
Or not my father's. For I cannot be
Mine own, nor anything to any, if
I be not thine.
(v) Yea, I will wound Achilles in the heel,
And then return to Hellana for a kiss.
O thou art fairer than the evening air
Clad in the beauty of a thousand stars,
Brighter than thou as flaming jupitar
And none but thou shalt be my Paramour.
2. The play Oedipus by Sophocles is very ironical in that it endorses the theme of free will as well as predestination. We eventually come to realize that man is free and yet he is also fated. What are your views?
3. Do you see Dr. Faustus by Christopher Marlowe as an art from that both teaches and delights the audience. While simultaneously presenting a moral. Cite specific details to support your answer.
4. What is the role of women in The Importance of Being Earnest. How are mothers represented? What about single/independent women?
5. Why does Othello not investigate Iago's accusations? Why does Othello not seek his own proof of Desdemona's betrayal?
6. Discuss and analyze Leontes' jealousy. Is it too sudden and poorly motivated to be credible?
7. Examine the female characters in the play. Do they share a common role in the play Othello?

9. YEAR 2011
Attempt any FOUR questions including Question No. 1 which is COMPULSORY. All questions carry equal marks. 
1. Explain with reference to the context any THREE of the following passages:
(i) Yea, what remains to see,
Or what to love, or hear,
With any touch of joy?
Lead me away, my friends, with utmost speed,
Of all men most accursed,
Most hateful to the Gods.
(ii) Where art thou, Faustus? Wretch, what hast thou done?
Damned art thou, Faustus, damned; despair and die!
Hell calls for right, and with a roaring voice
Says "Faustus come! thine hour is almost come!"
And Faustus now will come to do the right.
(iii) Whilst I remember
Her and her virtues, I cannot forget
My blemishes in them, and so still think of
The wrong I did myself; which was so much,
That heirless it hath made my kingdom and
Destroy'd the sweet'st companion that e'er man
Bred his hopes out of.
(iv) Exploded! Was he the victim of a revolutionary outrage? Was  not aware of the Mr. Bunbury was interested in social legislation. If so, he is well punished for his morbidity.
(v) Here, stand behind this bulk; straight will be come:
Wear thy good rapier bare, and put it home:
Quick, quick; fear nothing; I'll be at thy elbow:
It makes us, or it mars us; think on that,
And fix most firm they resolution.
2. Does it seem fair for Oedipus to call himself "the worst of men"? Why or why not?
3. Note the appearance of Helen of Troy Sc.12. What role does she play in the drama of Faustus's damnation? What does her presence suggest about Marlow's attitude toward women?
4. Explore the character of Desdemona. What does she represent in the play?
5. What possible explanation can we provide for Leontes' sudden onset of jealousy? Has Leontes completely lost his mind, or is there some strange "rationale" at work in Leontes's mind?
6. Using three examples drawn from the play, show how algernon uses Wilde's aesthetic principles to transform his life into a work of art.
7. The Winter's Tale is classified as a romance but some have said that this classification is misleading. Do you feel the play should be classified as a tragedy and, if so, why?

10. YEAR 2012
Attempt any FOUR questions including Question No. 1 which is COMPULSORY. All questions carry equal marks.
1. Explain with reference to the context any THREE of the following passages:
(i) By the world,
I think my life be honest, and think she is not,
I'll have some proof; my name, that was as fresh
As Dian's Visage, is now begrim'd, and black
As mine own face.
(ii) Accursed Faustus, wretch, what hast thou done?
I do repent, and yet I do despair.
Hell strives with grace for conquest in my breast.
What shall I do shun the shares of death?
(iii) There's some ill planet reigns:
I must be patient till the heavens look
With an aspect more favourable, Good my Lords,
I am not Prove weeping, as our sex
Commonly are, the want of which vain dew
Perchance shall dry your pities.
(iv) True. In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing. Mr. Worthing, what explanation can you offer to me for pretending to have brother? Was it in order that you might have an opportunity of coming up to town to see me as often as possible.
(v) How dreadful knowledge of the truth can be
When there's No help in truth!
I knew this well,
But did not act on it!
Else I should not have come.
2. Discuss 'Doctor Faustus' as a morality play.
3. Explore the character of Hermione. How far is she responsible for Leontes' madness in 'The Winter's Tale'?
4. What are the major thematic concerns in 'Oedipus Rex'?
5. Describe the role of Miss Prism in Oscar Wilde's play 'The Importance of Being Earnest'.
6. Why do you think the loss of handkerchief has a huge impact on Othello's mind?
7. Bring out some of the satirical elements in Oscar Wilde's play 'The Importance of Being Earnest'.

11. YEAR 2013
Attempt FOUR questions in all. Question No. 1 is COMPULSORY. Each question carries 25 marks.
1. Explain with reference to the context any THREE of the following passages:
(i) No, in good earnest,
How sometimes nature  will betray its folly,
It's tenderness, and make itself a pastime.
To harder bosoms.
(ii) Believe me, I have rather lose any purse
Full of crusades: and but my noble moor
Its true of mind, and made of no such baseness
As jealous creatures are, it were enough
To put him to ill thinking.
(iii) My poor children, I 'know
Why you have come -
I am not ignorant of
What you yearn for,
For I well know that you are ill, and yet,
Sick as you are, there is
Not one of you whose sickness equals mine.
(iv) Gwendolen, it is a terrible thing
For a man to find out suddenly that
All his life he has been speaking nothing
But the truth. Can you forgive me?
(v) I know not that, but such a handkerchief -
I am sure it was your wife;s - did I today
See Cassio wipe his beard with.
2. How is Romance interwoven with Tragedy in 'The Winter's Tale'?
3. 'The Importance of Being Earnest' is a critique of the society. Explain how?
4. Discuss the importance of Creon's character in 'Oedipus Rex'.
5. How far is Doctor Faustus a truly tragic character?
6. Too much of goodness led Desdemona to her tragic ending. Agree/disagree?
7. Discuss the role of fate and freewill in 'Oedipus Rex'.

12. YEAR 2014
Attempt any FOUR questions including Question No. 1 which is COMPULSORY. All questions carry equal marks. 
1. Explain with reference to the context any THREE of the following passages:
(i) "If we say that we have no sin,
We deceive ourselves, and there's no truth in us.
Why then belike we must sin,
And so consequently everlasting death."
(ii) "Nothing will induce me to part with Bunbury, and if you ever get married, which seems to me extremely problematic, you will be very glad to know Bunbury. A man who marries without knowing Bunbury has a very tedious time of it."
(iii) Man of agony .....
That is the only name I have for you,
That, no other --- ever, ever, ever!
(iv) "Good name in man and woman, dear my lord,
Is the immediate jewel of their souls:
Who steals my purse steals trash; 'tis something, nothing;
'twas mine, 'tis his, and has been slave to thousands;
But he that filches from me my good neame
Robs me of that which not enriches him,
And make me poor indeed."
(v) But whether a mere man can know the truth,
Whether a seer can fathom more than I ....
There is no test, no certain proof
Though matching skill for skill
A man can outstrip a rival. No, not till I see
These charges proved will I side with his accusers .....
Never will I convict my king, never in my heart.
2. Define Hubris and describe which actions of Oedipus and Jocasta demonstrate Hubris in Oedipus Rex by Sophocles.
3. What is the significance of the last speech in Marlowe's play Dr. Faustus?
4. Do you agree or disagree with the following proposition: Desdemona's goodness drove her to her tragic end?
5. Discuss and analyze Leontes' Jealously in Shakespeare's play The Winter's Tale.
6. Is Cecily a more realistic character that Gwendolen? Why or why not? Discuss your answer in the light of Oscar Wilde's play The Importance of Being Earnest.
7. "I hate Othello!". Give some insight into the lines spoken by Iago for Othello in Shakespeare's play Othello.

13. YEAR 2015
Attempt any FOUR questions including question No. 1 which is COMPULSORY. All questions carry equal marks. 
1. Explain with reference to the context any THREE of the following passages:
(i) I will wear my heart upon sleeve for daws to peck at; I am
not what I am.
(ii) Man of agony .....
That is the only name I have for you,
That, no other ..... ever, ever, ever!
(iii) Hell hath no limits, nor is circumscrib'd in one self place;
But where we are in hell, And where hell is, they must we
Ever be.
(iv) But jealous souls will not be answered so;
They are not ever jealous for the cause,
But jealous for they're jealous. It is monster
Begot upon itself, born on itself.
(v) A sad tale's best for winter: I have on
Of Spirits and goblins
(vi) "I have always been of opinion that a man who desires to get married should know either everything or nothing."
2. Comment on the theme of "ungodly pollution" with reference to Sophocles' play "Oedipus Rex". 
3. Discuss Dr. Faustus as a man of Renaissance in Christopher Marlowe's play "Dr. Faustus".
4. Can you justify Shakespeare's play "Othello" as a tragedy?
5. Discuss and analyze the feminist strains in Shakespeare's play "The Winter's Tale".
6. Who is your favourite character in Oscar Wilde's play "The Importance of Being Ernest"? Justify your answer. 
7. Iago is the real hero of Shakespeare's play "Othello". Discuss. 

14. YEAR 2016
Attempt any FOUR questions including Question No. 1 which is COMPULSORY. All questions carry equal marks. 
1. Explain with reference to the context any THREE of the following passages. 
(i) I am pleased to hear it. I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. 
(ii) I agree. What you've just said makes sense. 
So tell me the nature of the damage
You claim you're suffering because of me. 
(iii) O, beware, my lord, of jealousy;
It is the green-eyed monster which doth mock
The meat it feed on
(iv) The story of your romantic origin, as related to me by mamma, with unpleasing comments, has naturally stirred the deeper fibres of my nature. Your Christian name has an irresistible fascination. The simplicity of your character makes you exquisitely incomprehensible to me. 
(v) Here, stand behind this bulk; straight will be come: 
Wear thy good rapier bare, and put it home: 
Quick, quick; fear nothing; I'll be at thy elbow:
It makes us, or it mars us; think on that,
And fix most firm thy revolution. 
2. Do you thin it is fair for Oedipus to call himself 'the most worst of men' in "Oedipus Rex" by Sophocles? Why or why not? 
3. Discuss "Doctor Faustus" as a tradegy. 
4. Discuss and analyze Leontes's jealousy in Shakespeare's play "The Winter's Tale". 
5. Explore Oscar Wilde's Play "The Importance of Being Earnest" as a comedy. 
6. Shakespeare's characters represents human nature in all its variety, it is said. What kind of nature does Othello present? Discuss. 
7. Do you think everyone who has a thirst for more knowledge face a similar end which Dr. Faustus met? Discus what exactly led to Faustus's downfall? 

15. YEAR 2017
Attempt any FOUR questions including Question No. 1, which is COMPULSORY. All questions carry equal marks. 
1. Explain with reference to the context any THREE of the following passages. 
(i) Time alone can make it clear a man is just while you can know a traitor in a day. Realty, if the lower orders don't set us a good example, what on earth is the use of them? 
(ii) Till swollen with cunning, of a self-conceit, 
His waxen wings did mount above his reach, 
And melting heavens conspired his overthrow. 
(iii) If I were now to die, 
Twere now to be most happy, for I fear
My sould hath her content so absolute
That not another comfort like to this
Succeeds in unknown fate. 
(iv) Too hot, too hot!
To mingle friendship far is mingling bloods.
I have tremor cordis on me: my heart dances; 
But not for joy; not joy. 
(v) Reputation, reputation, reputation! O, I have lost my reputation! I have lost the immortal part of myself, and what remains is bestial. 
2. Discuss the role of fate and free will in defining the destiny of the character of Oedipus in Sopholces' play "Oedipus Rex". 
3. Was Faustus ethically wrong in pursuing his ambition for greater knowledge? Discuss with reference to "Dr. Faustus" by Christopher Marlowe. 
4. Is Faustus' damnation tragic or an act of justice? Discuss in detail with reference to Christopher Marlowe's "Dr. Faustus". 
5. Critically examine the statue scene in Shakespeare's "The Winter's Tale" and elaborate its significane with reference to the overall plot of the play. 
6. Discuss the significance of the title of Oscar Wilde's play "The Importance of Being Earnest".
7. Shakespeare's Othello initially questions, but then confirms racist stereotypes. Discuss. 

16. YEAR 2018
Attempt any FOUR questions including Question No. 1 which is COMPULSORY. All questions carry equal marks. 
1. Explain with reference to the context any THREE of the following passages. 
(i) I am pleased to hear it. I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit, touch it and the bloom is gone. 
(ii) I agree. What you've just said makes a sense. 
So tell me the nature of the damage
You claim you're suffering because of me. 
(iii) O, beware, my lord, of jealousy; 
It is the green-eyed monster which doth mock
The meat it feed on. 
(iv) The story of your romantic origin, as related to me by mamma, with unpleasing comments, has naturally stirred the deeper fibres of my nature. Your Christian name has irresistable fascination. The simplicity of your character makes you exquisitely incomprehensible to me. 
(v) Here, stand behind this buld; straight will he come; 
Wear thy good rapier bare, and put it home: 
Quick, quick; fear nothing; I'll be at thy elbow; 
It makes us, or it mars us; think on that, 
And fix most firm thy revolution. 
2. Do you think it is fair for Oedipus to call himself 'the worst of men's in "Oedipus Rex" by Sophocles? Why or why not? 
3. Discuss the character of Mephastophilis. How much of a role does he play in Faustus's damnation? 
4. What impact do ideas of magic and mystery have in "The Winter's Tale"?
5. Explore Oscar Wilde's play "The Importance of Being Earnest" as a comdey. 
6. Shakespear's characters represent human nature in all its variety, it is said. What kind of nature does Othello present? Discuss. 
7. Do you think everyone who has a thirst for more knowledge should face a similar end which Dr. Fausturs met? Discuss what exactly led to Faustus' downfall? 

17. YEAR 2019
Attempt any FOUR questions including Question No. 1 which is COMPULSORY. All questions carry equal marks. 
1. Explain the following with reference to the context any THREE of the following stanzas. 
(i) For our city, as you yourself can see, 
is badly shaken --- she cannot raise her head
above the depths of so much surging death
Disease infects fruit blossoms in our land, 
disease infects our herds of grazing cattle, 
makes women in labour lose their children. 
(ii) I'll levy soldiers with the coin they bring, 
And chase the Prince of Parma from our land
and reign sole king of all the provinces; 
Yea, stranger engines for the brunt of war, 
(iii) But I beseech you if it be your pleasure and most wise consent
(As partly I find it is) that your daughter, 
At this odd-even and dull watch o'the night
Transported with nor worse or better guard, 
(iv) There's comfort in't 
Whiles other men have gates and those gates open'd, 
As mine, against their will. Should all despair
That have revolted wives, the tenth of mankind
Would hang themselves. 
(v) Oh! It is absurd to have a hard and fast rule about what one should read and what one shouldn't. More than half of modern culture depends on whaat one shouldn't read. 
2. In Sopholes' hands European tragedy gains an artistic maturity to be followed as a tradition. What is your point of view? Analyze the play "Oedipus Rex" by referreing to the statement. 
3. In "Dr. Faustus" Marlowe exposes the darker side of Renaissance? Prove or refure the statement by referring to the text. 
4. Othello is more of a victim of his racial inferiority than jealousy. Prove or refute the statement. 
5. For the study of human nature, comedy is as profound as tragedy. Prove or refute the statement by referreing to "The Winter's Tale". 
6. It is more of language and less of situation which creates humour in Oscar Wilde. Prove or refute the statement by referring to "The Importance of Being Earnest". 
7. Why is Oedipus considered an ideal tragic hero? Discuss with reference to Aristotelian view of ideal tragic hero. 

No comments:

Post a Comment