Tuesday 4 August 2020

Important Questions | Oedipus Rex By Sophocles | Eureka Study Aids

1. Explain the following extracts with reference to the context.
(a) How dreadful knowledge of the truth can be
When there's no help in truth! I knew this well,
But did not act on it! Else I should not have come.

(b) At a feast, a drunken man maundering his cups
Cries out that I am not my father's son!
I contained myself that night, though I felt anger
And a sinking heart. The next day I visited
My father and mother, and questioned them. They stormed,
Calling it all the slanderous rant of a fool;
And this relieved me.

(c) O holy majesty of heavenly powers!
May I never see that day! Never!
Rather let me vanish from the race of men
Than know the abomination destined me!

2. Explain the following extracts with reference to the context.
(a) Why should anyone in this world be afraid,
Since Fate rules us and nothing can be foreseen?
A man should live only for the present day.
(b) To have been the man they call his mother's husband!
Oh accurst! O child of evil,
To have entered that wretched bed --
The selfsame one! More primal sin itself, this fell to me.
(c) Ah dear friend
Are you faithful even yet, you alone?
Are you still standing near me, will you stay here,
Patient, to care for the blind?  The blind man!
Yet even blind I know who it is attends me,
By the voice's tone -- Though my new darkness hide the comforter.
3. Explain the following extracts with reference to the context.
(a) Do not counsel me any more. This punishment
That I have laid upon myself is just.
If I had eyes,
I do not know how I could bear the sight
Of my father, when I came to the house of Death,
Or my mother: for I have sinned against them both
So vilely that I could not make my peace
By strangling my own life.
(b) Let every man in mankind's frailty
Consider his last day; and let none
Presume on his good fortune until he finds
Life, at his death, a memory without pain.
(c) Forth from the borders thrust me with all speed,
Set me within some vasty desert where
No mortal voice shall greet me any more.
4. Dramatic Irony in "Oedipus Rex" 
5. Role of Fate and Freewill in "Oedipus Rex" 
6. Role of Hubris in "Oedipus Rex" 
7. Relationship Between Man and gods in "Oedipus Rex" 
8. Oedipus Rex As a Tragic Hero

RELATED POSTS

No comments:

Post a Comment