Sunday 2 August 2020

Important Questions | Love & Divine Poems By John Donne | Eureka Study Aids

1. Explain the following extracts with reference to the context.
(a) My face in thine eye, thine in mine appears,
And true plain hearts do in the faces rest;
Where can we finde two better hemispheares
Without sharpe north, without declining west?

(b) If our two loves be one, or thou and I
Love so alike that none doe slacken, none can die.

(c) Goe and catche a falling starre,
Get with child a mandrake roote,
Tell me where all past years are,
Or who cleft the devil's foot,
Teach me to heare Mermaids singing,
Or to keep off envies stinging,

(d) If yet I have not all thy love,
Dear, I shall never have it all;
I cannot breath one other sigh, to move,
Nor can intreat one other teare to fall;

2. Explain the following extracts with reference to the context.
(a) Thy beames so reverend, and strong
Why shouldst thou think?
I could eclipse and cloud them with a winke,
But that I would not lose her sight so long.
(b) She's all states, and all princes I;
Nothing else is;
Princes doe but play us; compar'd to this,
All honour's mimique, all wealth alchimie.
(c) Than by her shadow what she weares.
Of perverse sexe, where none is true but shee,
Who's therefore true, because her truth kills mee.
(d) Or let these two, themselves, not me decay;
So shall I live thy Stage, not triumph bee;
Lest thou they love and hate and mee undoe,
To let mee live, O love and hate mee too.
3. Explain the following extracts with reference to the context.
(a) As virtuous men passe mildly away,
And whisper to their soules to goe,
Whilst some of their sad friends doe say,
"Now his breath goes," and some say, "No."
(b) If they be two, they are two so
As stiffle twin compasses are two;
Thy soule, the fix'd foot, makes no show
To move, but doth, if th' other doe.
(c) And though it in the centre sit,
Yet, when the other far doth rome,
It leanes, and hearkens after it,
And growes erect, as that comes home.
(d) One short sleepe past, wee wake eternally,
And death shall be no more; Death, thou shalt die.
4. Donne As a Love Poet
5. Donne's Attitude Towards Women
6. Donne As a Metaphysical Poet
7. Use of Hyperbole and Paradox in Donne's Poetry
8. Critical Appreciation of
(i) The Sun Rising
(ii) A Valediction: Forbidding Mourning

RELATED POSTS

No comments:

Post a Comment