Tuesday 4 August 2020

Important Questions | Dr. Faustus By Marlowe | Eureka Study Aids

1. Explain the following extracts with reference to the context.
(a) If we say that we have no sin,
We deceive ourselves, and there's no truth in us.
Why then belike we must sin,
And so consequently die.
Ay, we must die an everlasting death.

(b) How am I glutted with conceit of this!
Shall I make spirits fetch me what I please,
Resolve me of all ambiguities,
Perform what desperate enterprise will?

(c) Had I as many souls as there be stars,
I'd give them all for Mephistopheles.

2. Explain the following extracts with reference to the context.
(a) The god thou serv'st is thine own appetite,
Wherein is fix'd the love of Beelzebub:
To him I'll build an altar and a church,
And offer lukewarm blood of new-born babes.
(b) Sweet Helen, make me immortal with a kiss
Her lips suck forth my soul: see where it flies.
Come, Helen, come, give me my soul again.
(c) Accursed Faustus, wretch, what hast thou done?
I do repent, and yet I do despair.
Hell strives with grace for conquest in my breast.
What shall I do to shun the snares of death?
3. Explain the following extracts with reference to the context.
(a) Oh, thou art fairer than evening air
Clad in the beauty of a thousand stars;
Brighter art thou than flaming Jupiter.
(b) O soul, be changed into little water drops,
And fall into the ocean, ne'er be found!
Adders and serpents, let me breathe a while!
Ugly hell, gape not! Come not Lucifer!
I'll burn my book! Ah-Mephistophillis.
(c) Ay, Faustus, now thou hast no hope of heaven;
Therefore despair; think only upon hell,
For that must be thy mansion, there to dwell.
4. "Dr. Faustus" As a Morality Play
5. "Dr. Faustus" As a Modern Tragedy
6. Renaissance Elements in "Dr. Faustus"
7. Significance of Last Speech in "Dr. Faustus"
8. Dr. Faustus As a Tragic Hero

RELATED POSTS

No comments:

Post a Comment