Saturday 27 December 2014

Past Paper Drama 2007 | M.A. English Part I (PU) | Eureka Study Aids

Attempt any FOUR questions including Question No. 1 which is COMPULSORY. All questions carry equal marks. 
1. Explain with reference to the context any THREE of the following passages:
(i) To have been a man they call his mother's husband
Oh accurst! Oh child of evil,
To have entered that wretched bed the self same one!
More primal than sin itself, this fell on me.
(ii) O soul, be changed into little water drops,
And fall into the ocean, ne'er be found!
My God, my God look not so fierce on me!
Adders and serpents, let me breathe a while!
Ugly hell, gape not! Come not Lucifer!
I'll burn my books! Ah-Mephistophillis.
(iii) Whip me, you devils,
From the possession of this heavenly sight.
Blow me about in winds, roast me in sulphur
Wash me in steep-down gulfs of liquid fire,
(iv) I beg pardon for interrupting you, lady Braknell,
But this engagement is quite out of question,
I am Miss Cardews' guardian,
And she cannot marry without my consent until she comes to age.
I absolutely decline to give.
(v) Sir, it is three days since I saw the prince
What is happier affairs may be,
Are to me unknown
But I
Have missingly noted he is of late much retired
From court and less frequent to his princely
Exercises than formerly he hath appeared.
2. Bring out the evil in Iago and explain how he at last betrays himself.
3. What is dramatic irony? What instances of dramatic irony do you find in Oedipus Rex? What do they contribute to the effectiveness of the play?
4. The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde "is a trivial comedy for serious people". How far do you think the statement is applicable?
5. Do you think that if Dr. Faustus had been a character of the present modern times, he would have despaired as much as he did in his times when religious dogmas were very strong?
6. Discuss the role of the women in The Winter's Tale and their relationship with their husbands/lovers.
7. Conspicuously Sophocles never suggests that Oedipus has brought his destiny, on himself by any 'ungodly pride' hubris or 'tragic flaw' Hamartia. Do you think he is responsible and to what extent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment