Friday 26 December 2014

Past Paper Drama 2006 | M.A. English Part I (PU) | Eureka Study Aids

Attempt any FOUR questions including Question No. 1 which is COMPULSORY. All questions carry equal marks. 
1. Explain with reference to the context any THREE of the following passages:
(i) Ah, Faustus
Now has thou but one bare hour to live;
And then thou must be damn'd
Perpetually!
Stand still, you ever moving spheres of heaven.
That time may cease, and midnight never come.
Fair Nature's eye, rise, rise again, and make
Perpetual day; or let this hour be but
A year, a month, a week, a natural day,
That Faustus may repent and save his soul
(ii) Do not counsel me anymore. This punishment that I
Have laid upon myself is just.
If I had eyes
I do not know how I would bear the sight of my father,
When I come to the house of Death, or my mother, for I
Have sinned against them both
So vilely that I could not make any peace
By strangling my own life.
(iii) I had rather to be a toad
And live upon the vapour of a dungeon
Than keep a corner in the thing I love
For other's uses.
(iv) They call him Doricles; and boasts himself
To have a worthy feeding; but I have it
Upon his won report and I believe it;
He looks like sooth. He says he loves my daughter,
I think so too; for never gaz'd the moon
Upon the water as he'll stand and read
As it were my daughter's eyes and, to be plain,
I think there is not half a kiss to choose
Who loves another best.
(v) Yes, I felt instinctively, but I couldn't wait all that time, I hate waiting even five minutes for anybody. It always makes me rather cross. I am not punctual myself, I know, but I do like punctuality in others, and waiting, even to be married, is quite out of the questions.
2. Do you think that hubris plays a significant part in the fall of Oedipus?
3. Does the speech by the Chorus in the epilogue do justice to the character of Faustus?
4. How does Othello's imagination contribute to his breakdown?
5. Discuss the significance of language in Oscar Wilde's play 'The Importance of Being Earnest'.
6. Discuss the play 'The Winter's Tale' as a tragic comedy.
7. Iago is more a catalyst who precipitates destruction that devil who causes it.

No comments:

Post a Comment